December 31, 2009

favorite films of the 2000s

Film lovers have been making "Best of the Decade" lists for several months now and have been making a lot of noise about it, too. This is my own contribution, but without the noise.

I am still new to this decade's cinema. I only discovered that it appealed to me after watching Cafe Lumiere this past summer, and I have been trying to catch up on this decade ever since. I had hoped that this list-making year-end frenzy would provide a wealth of recommendations for me to study, but alas it is not so. Everybody seems to be recommending Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Lord of the Rings. Woe is me.

I have alphabetized my list using English titles. It does not deviate much from standard arthouse decade lists (update: I have weakened my list with anime), but this might change once I have been better educated on the 00s. I have restricted myself to one film per director. There are 15 films.

LIST

5cm Per Second (2007)


Brand Upon the Brain! (2006)


Cafe Lumiere (2003)


Film Ist. a girl & a gun (2009)


I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (2006)


In Praise of Love (2001)


In the City of Sylvia (2007)


Linda Linda Linda (2005)


Love Exposure (2008)


Marie Antoinette (2006)


Medicine for Melancholy (2008)


Nights and Weekends (2008)


Of Time and the City (2008)


Romance of Astrea and Celadon (2007)


Syndromes and a Century (2006)


Finally, I take this opportunity to note: on every list I have come across, somebody has commented that they were shocked that their favorite film does not appear on the list. I have not commented on these lists and I am unable to name an absolute "favorite" from this decade, but I want to contribute to the trend. So I wish to say that I am shocked -- shocked! -- that I have not seen a girl & a gun on any other list by mine. What a shame.

Updates.
Je 6 Expanded to 15
Mr 5 -Romance of Astrea and Celadon (2007) +Medicine for Melancholy (2008)

1 comment:

Allison M. said...

I haven't seen Film Ist. yet. That's why!! ;)